Skip to main content
There is a lot of misunderstandings of what ABS is and what it does and more importantly, what it doesn't do. Let us discuss it with a listing of what I think are 3 facts and myths surrounding ABS and why it could save your life someday . ABS is Anti Brake-Locking System As the name implies, it prevents brake locks - the heart-stopping panicking moments of wheel locking up if we apply brake too suddenly. Brakes? Kinda are more important than the engine themselves. This can cause awesome skids which could be attractive if you are a stunt rider and are stunnting. Whereas, if you are trying to stop because you are riding head-on onto oncoming traffic; I have no clue why you would be; but that wouldn't spell good for you, so stopping the biking when you want it to stop is critical for riding. ABS is any system that prevents the wheel lock, by releasing the pressure on the brake disc, if it senses a wheel lock. This is done using motion sensors, which in turn

Ergo, Rise

I fondly remember the first time I saw a motorcycle, the first time the memory of a machine on two wheels got etched into my mind. It was a moped and I was 2 years old, ergo, it seemed like a big machine that is capable of pulling an entire family. Utterly ignorant of its complexity, what stuck in my mind was that it was a useful addition. Fast-forwarding by several years, I remember being dropped at the school by my uncle or being taken out for ice cream. We as a family, never had a motorized vehicle as dad doesn't drive or ride so motorcycling became missing for the majority of my life. However, around high school, dad gifted me my first bicycle and with that, the range of my 'territory' increased! I remember the first time I crossed the Adyar bridge and went to Mylapore to have coffee without telling my parents. A mere distance of 5 kilometres which was previously unreachable became reachable with just a bit of courage and planning. Did your crush live a few kilometres away which you couldn't walk earlier? Now it became accessible over a bicycle ride and you could return home even without anyone realizing it! Going to the beach early in the morning to enjoy the sun rise without having to depend on a grown-up or sneaking away to spend time with your heartthrob wasn't just a dream anymore.

As when I learned to walk, my range and the freedom that came with it increased. As I learnt to cycle, the range and the freedom that came with it increased tenfold. And following suit, as I got my first motorcycle, the range increased further exponentially and so did the freedom that came with it. But to my pleasant surprise, the novelty of the freedom was never lost. Each iteration and envelope of freedom has shown me the boundaries as well.

I strongly believe that the reason for that is a curious animistic soul in us that urges us to explore. Our brain searches for problems if there is none. But if we keep it busy with a novel experience now and then, the mundane activities of everyday life becomes bearable with the anticipation trip that was planned. And if when there is no plan or target, we often lose focus and get lost in everyday activities. On the flip side, not having a plan is a possibility with infinite potential. However, that holds true only as long as you dare to take the leap.

Do try this, at your own risk!

At the crossroad I am at right now, do I take the leap or wait in anticipation of the plan, is a question that I cannot answer. But like everyone else that has ever hit the rock bottom, to rise is the only way. I know what I yearn and in the discovery of understanding the why behind it, I could perhaps find answers to the questions that I might not have asked yet. With the sweet promise of that, I can't wait to get back on the road with my motorcycle thanking the gods for their kindness.

I live, therefore I shall ride. Ergo, rise.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Real Maintenance Cost of a KTM and Can You Own One Right Now?

D o you know what is most painful experiences that a bike lover can have? Imagining your bike lying in the parking because it needs repair work being done. If you are a college going youngster, you would probably curse your parents for not giving you enough pocket money; which is very natural -probably I did as well, back then. But if you are employed waiting for the next paycheck. The auspicious date will come by and pass, but some new expenses will always creep up. Making the bike lie in repair state even longer! This is it. Walking Past This Everyday without Repairing it. That is the Worst Thing Ever! There are a lot of people who confuse Cost of Purchase (CoP) vs Cost of Ownership (CoO) of a Bike.  There are a lot of wise wisdom filled quotes that ask you not to bite more than what you can chew. It applies very well to the principle of CoP vs CoO . Being able to afford the bike, its initial payment, the document, and all the rest simply mean that you ca

5 Myths around KTM RC/Duke 390

I am a proud owner of a KTM D390 since 2016 December and have been extensively riding it for long distance touring. Recently completed a 3300kms round trip from Chennai-Goa   Pic: @alamparai fort backwaters With that as a credential, I write this article stating why some myths are just plain stupid. Stay tuned for future posts on a detailed comparison between various bikes in its class, and also across classes. To describe the D390; it is a middle-weight, sub-500cc class, nimble and a costly girlfriend who can ensure that you have a great time as long as you know to control yourself ;)! without further ado, lets jump into the myths! Myth 1: Duke/RC is Light Weight WTF is this assumption? Where does this come from? I suppose our folks would have heard some genius European/US moto-vlogger mention this. The thing is, those guys are used to superbikes which usually weigh a ton, compared to which D390 is light weight. But by Indian standards, D390 is a heavy ma

3 Facts/Myths about ABS

There is a lot of misunderstandings of what ABS is and what it does and more importantly, what it doesn't do. Let us discuss it with a listing of what I think are 3 facts and myths surrounding ABS and why it could save your life someday . ABS is Anti Brake-Locking System As the name implies, it prevents brake locks - the heart-stopping panicking moments of wheel locking up if we apply brake too suddenly. Brakes? Kinda are more important than the engine themselves. This can cause awesome skids which could be attractive if you are a stunt rider and are stunnting. Whereas, if you are trying to stop because you are riding head-on onto oncoming traffic; I have no clue why you would be; but that wouldn't spell good for you, so stopping the biking when you want it to stop is critical for riding. ABS is any system that prevents the wheel lock, by releasing the pressure on the brake disc, if it senses a wheel lock. This is done using motion sensors, which in turn