Skip to main content
There is a lot of misunderstandings of what ABS is and what it does and more importantly, what it doesn't do. Let us discuss it with a listing of what I think are 3 facts and myths surrounding ABS and why it could save your life someday . ABS is Anti Brake-Locking System As the name implies, it prevents brake locks - the heart-stopping panicking moments of wheel locking up if we apply brake too suddenly. Brakes? Kinda are more important than the engine themselves. This can cause awesome skids which could be attractive if you are a stunt rider and are stunnting. Whereas, if you are trying to stop because you are riding head-on onto oncoming traffic; I have no clue why you would be; but that wouldn't spell good for you, so stopping the biking when you want it to stop is critical for riding. ABS is any system that prevents the wheel lock, by releasing the pressure on the brake disc, if it senses a wheel lock. This is done using motion sensors, which in turn

If Life Was A Video Game That Is Played With Handlebars Instead Of Joysticks

On list of things to that can break me, there is a video game trailer that hits me hard. Artyom's Nightmare from the Metro Exodus..

The video shows Artyom, solider, reminiscing life events where he was helpless. People die as he watches without the ability to react. In some cases, he might have been the catalyst to the events and yet doesn't have the power to change the outcome. The video game is a piece of art that tells us his story. Through a silent protagonist, we see a world that no longer exists with any degree of hospitality and everything out there is set to kill you. 

And yet, the story of Artyom is that of a soldier who steps out of safety every chance he gets with hope to see if the world has changed. This story, and the game, feels like a powerful tale not just because I am a video game addict but because the game resonates so well with the real-life that I live in.

Every I throw my legs over my bike and switch on the ignition I say in my mind "please start". And as soon as she fires up I compliment her "good girl". I know that there is a possibility that one day she might not start. There have been those days. And on those days it is my responsibility to know and understand what is wrong with her and get her back to good health.

Every time I take her out for a ride, I know that there are bigger vehicles and idiots on the road that could cost me my life because of their mistake. It is a chance I am willing to take. Not because I can, but because I should. Otherwise, I would never be able to live with myself. Imagine fearing to travel, but being killed by a fan falling over your head while sleeping. Fear sometimes is the only hindrance to happiness.

Every time Artyom steps out, he knows the dangers that are out there. He knows that he is practically alone. He knows that he might not return the same way he left. But he goes nevertheless in search of a better tomorrow. Spearheading the exodus for the paradise lost. He prepares all he can but makes use of what he finds in the wild. The gas mask broke? He duct tapes it. The gun jams? He switches to a sidearm and cleans it later. Not a single time does he complain about the quality of his life but just tries to make it work.

Being stuck on a hill with a drained battery and no civilization for atleast 20kms thought me two things. There are no strangers but only friends you are yet to meet. And that the friends that you have known very well could very well become strangers with enough distance. The team that came with me had left because I was the sweep. Not their fault. Just one stayed with me and we somehow got the bike running with some luck. Action helped.

I had sold my first two motorcycles to upgrade. However, my actual reason was that I thought that the maintenance was causing a hassle and I thought something was wrong with my motorcycle in particular, and that I was cursed with bad luck upon purchase. By the time I had my third motorcycle, I knew, all motorcycles are going to need constant maintenance and it was not some bad luck.

Each might be different, but they are all going to be the reason for happiness and also cause pain at the same time. I took a vow to not let her go no matter what. My parents, my relatives and also my friends. A lot of have advised so far, asking me to let go. But she is mine, and all the time I have spent working on her are my time. She might not be the best, and neither am I. It was quite recent when it dawned on me that circumstances are always going to be the same. But the way we react to them dictates how we evolve as a human being.

I have changed. For the better or worse is only something time will tell. But one thing is certain, I am not running away from what I was in the past, letting go of my motorcycle for ulterior motives and hoping the next one would be better. 

In the end, Artyom always faces his fears and ventures forward. He remembers all the lives that were lost. All the lives that he cost because of his ineptitude to take action. But he moves forward with hope and purpose. Because hope is the only thing that can be stronger than fear. We are all not perfect, Artyom knows that. He is no superhero or even a super solider. Perhaps why we love the batman over the superman. And yet he holds on to hope while others have let fear could their judgment.

I continue to plan more road trips in hope for my motorcycle to keep me company irrespective of weather, health or financial conditions. For I, hope to make those trips one day. 

Being the Artyom that leads an exodus to salvation is better than covering in fearing the worst. I try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Real Maintenance Cost of a KTM and Can You Own One Right Now?

D o you know what is most painful experiences that a bike lover can have? Imagining your bike lying in the parking because it needs repair work being done. If you are a college going youngster, you would probably curse your parents for not giving you enough pocket money; which is very natural -probably I did as well, back then. But if you are employed waiting for the next paycheck. The auspicious date will come by and pass, but some new expenses will always creep up. Making the bike lie in repair state even longer! This is it. Walking Past This Everyday without Repairing it. That is the Worst Thing Ever! There are a lot of people who confuse Cost of Purchase (CoP) vs Cost of Ownership (CoO) of a Bike.  There are a lot of wise wisdom filled quotes that ask you not to bite more than what you can chew. It applies very well to the principle of CoP vs CoO . Being able to afford the bike, its initial payment, the document, and all the rest simply mean that you ca

5 Myths around KTM RC/Duke 390

I am a proud owner of a KTM D390 since 2016 December and have been extensively riding it for long distance touring. Recently completed a 3300kms round trip from Chennai-Goa   Pic: @alamparai fort backwaters With that as a credential, I write this article stating why some myths are just plain stupid. Stay tuned for future posts on a detailed comparison between various bikes in its class, and also across classes. To describe the D390; it is a middle-weight, sub-500cc class, nimble and a costly girlfriend who can ensure that you have a great time as long as you know to control yourself ;)! without further ado, lets jump into the myths! Myth 1: Duke/RC is Light Weight WTF is this assumption? Where does this come from? I suppose our folks would have heard some genius European/US moto-vlogger mention this. The thing is, those guys are used to superbikes which usually weigh a ton, compared to which D390 is light weight. But by Indian standards, D390 is a heavy ma

3 Facts/Myths about ABS

There is a lot of misunderstandings of what ABS is and what it does and more importantly, what it doesn't do. Let us discuss it with a listing of what I think are 3 facts and myths surrounding ABS and why it could save your life someday . ABS is Anti Brake-Locking System As the name implies, it prevents brake locks - the heart-stopping panicking moments of wheel locking up if we apply brake too suddenly. Brakes? Kinda are more important than the engine themselves. This can cause awesome skids which could be attractive if you are a stunt rider and are stunnting. Whereas, if you are trying to stop because you are riding head-on onto oncoming traffic; I have no clue why you would be; but that wouldn't spell good for you, so stopping the biking when you want it to stop is critical for riding. ABS is any system that prevents the wheel lock, by releasing the pressure on the brake disc, if it senses a wheel lock. This is done using motion sensors, which in turn